1/2 Photos of Stuffed Picnic Loaf
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This recipe was found in The Colour Book of Cooking for Two by Sue Russell. I've made some small changes to the original recipe to suit my family's tastes. This loaf is ideal for a picnic and improves if made the day before.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots or 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, cored and chopped
- 8 black olives or 8 green olives, stoned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 dill pickle, chopped
- 1 small loaf French bread
- olive oil
- 1 pinch dried basil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Combine tomatoes, shallots, green or red pepper, olives, capers and pickle.
- 2Cut French loaf in half lengthways and scoop out all the bread.
- 3Mix the crumbles bread with the tomato mixture, a little olive oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- 4fill the two empty bread crust shells with the mixture, press together, wrap the loaf securely in aluminum foil (plastic wrap should work, too) and chill.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stuffed Picnic Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (273 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 119.8
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 633.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 4.4 g