This recipe was found in The Colour Book of Cooking for Two by Sue Russell. I've made some small changes to the original recipe to suit my family's tastes. This loaf is ideal for a picnic and improves if made the day before.
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 shallots or 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 green peppers or 1 red pepper, cored and chopped
- 8 black olives or 8 green olives, stoned and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 dill pickle, chopped
- 1 small loaf French bread
- olive oil
- 1 pinch dried basil
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine tomatoes, shallots, green or red pepper, olives, capers and pickle.
- Cut French loaf in half lengthways and scoop out all the bread.
- Mix the crumbles bread with the tomato mixture, a little olive oil, basil, salt and pepper.
- fill the two empty bread crust shells with the mixture, press together, wrap the loaf securely in aluminum foil (plastic wrap should work, too) and chill.