I love this recipe! It is from the "Frugal Gourmet Whole Family Cookbook" by Jeff Smith. I've made this simple recipe for many years. People are always impressed but... I never tell them how easy it is to make. Some recipes are best kept secret. But I will share this one...
- Hull the strawberries and cut them into quarters lengthwise.
- Place in a bowl and toss with the vinegar and sugar.
- Cover and allow to rest on the counter for about an hour so that the berries will "juice" then chill in the fridge for another hour.
- Toss again before serving.
- (I like a little more vinegar sprinkled on before serving but do this to your own taste.
- I should mention that these strawberries do not keep well so they should be prepared and eaten the same day. If made more than a few hours ahead of time they are mushy and texturally unappealing. Just thought I should mention that.