This gooseberry compote, or jam (which i turns into when refrigerated) is a great way of extending and preserving our small but delicious gooseberry crops during the year. This is fantastic as an icecream topping, served atop pancakes, or spread in the centre of a sponge cake along with thick cream! So versatile and very easy to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put all ingredients in a small saucepan and turn hotplate onto its highest heat.
- 2Use a fork or potato masher to squish down on gooseberries. Keep doing this occasionally until the mixture comes to the boil. (We do not want the gooseberries to be completely pulverised, but we do want to help release their flavour, and help the skins to cook down/soften).
- 3When the mixture has come to the boil, turn the hotplate down by half. Continue stirring occasionally so as to prevent burning.
- 4Keep it on this heat for 5 minutes, before turning down by half again. Leave it on this heat for 5 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally.
- 5Turn it down by half again, letting it gently simmer for an additional 10 minutes, stirring now and then to make sure it is cooking down appropriately. When the skins of the gooseberries appear translucent - similar to the appearance of the skins of glace cherries - and the liquid has reduced and appears to be sticky/coat the back of a spoon, take saucepan off the heat.
- 6Spoon mixture into a small, clean glass jar.
- 7Attach lid of jar, screwing it on tight. Carefully tip the jar upside down so the scorching hot jam creates a natural heat seal (effectively sterilizing top of jar/lid).
- 8Allow to cool for 20 mins, then open jar and spoon compote over dessert of your choice.
- 9Re-seal jar and refrigerate for future use.
Browse Our Top Sweet Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sweet Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sticky Gooseberry Sauce for the Soul
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 857.5
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 219.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 203.0 g
- Protein 1.4 g