Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a simple and low calorie topping/compote, as told to me by someone in the MyFoodDiary.com forums. You can use it as a topping/mixin for plain yogurt, top ice cream with it, put it over toast (with cream cheese?), stir it into oatmeal, eat it with a dab of whipped topping or just plain. Sweet and tart yummy treat.
- 2 cups rhubarb, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or less)
- If your fruit is sweet you may need no sugar, or less sugar. Try to use as little as possible, depending on how sweet your fruit is.
- Mix together the rhubarb and pineapple chunks and sprinkle with sugar (if using). Let sit at least one hour to overnight, to allow juices from the fruit to collect. (Sugar helps to make more juices, so if the fruit isn't very sweet, you will need sugar to get the juices to come out of the fruit.).
- Cook over medium heat until sugar disappears and rhubarb has softened (about 15 minutes or so).
- Allow to cool.
- Eat with yogurt, ice cream, whipped topping, toast, oatmeal, or by itself. Yum!
Simple, yet delicious. I sprinkled a few graham cracker crumbs on top and it tasted like a summery- dessert.
This sounds really good and I plan on making this soon. I will officially rate it soon...
Yum yum yummy! I usually make Rhubarb Sauce when I get my hands on some rhubarb so I was curious to try this with pineapple added. It is different of course but just as delicious! Thanks so much MathMom for a new rhubarb "experience"!