Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This comes from a Spanish cookbook I own. I have made it using about 1/2 cup of jarred, roasted, marinated bell pepper strips instead of the pimientos mentioned, and that worked well. And yes, it is 11 cups of spinach-it cooks away so much!
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes, or until golden, but not brown; remove with a slotted spoon and discard.
- Add the onion and cumin, turmeric and cayenne and cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the chickpeas and stir until coated with the oil and spices.
- Stir in the spinach with just the water clinging to it, cover and cook for 4-5 minutes until wilted.
- Uncover, stir in the pimientos and continue cooking, stirring gently until the liquid evaporates.
- Season to taste and serve.
What fantastic flavours and texture! We used normal spinach as we had a heap in the garden - other than that made as stated. Will be appearing on my table again very soon. Thanks for a great recipe!
This was really good! Very rich and filling. I added about 5 cups more spinach to make a more balanced carb/protein dish and it came out fine. Adding about 1/2 c broth chicken or vegetable makes it more of a stew which I liked very much. Thanks!
Yummy and wholesome.My family enjoyed it. It is also sutable for indian taste.