Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
The yam in this (suran), is related to the sweet potato. However, that being said, do not look for a marshmallow topped, brown sugar filled concoction. This is definitely all curry, and is a bit spicy as well. Eat as a vegetarian main dish, or as a side dish to other recipes. If you cannot find suran, just substitute sweet potato or white potatoes. I am sure they would work well.
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add as much as you want)
- 14 ounces suran yams, cut into cubes
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes with juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon mild curry powder (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (coriander leaf)
- Heat mustard oil or ghee in a large saucepan and add cumin seed.
- Cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, but do not burn.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper, cooking for several minutes or until onions begin to soften.
- Stir in diced yam, diced tomatoes, salt, and curry powder.
- Mix tamarind paste with warm water and add to pan.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until yam is tender, adding water if necessary to keep from sticking.
- Stir in thawed peas and cook for 1-2 minutes more, or until peas are tender.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro, with freshly steamed basmati rice (optional).
What a healthy delicious dish! I don't think I cooked it for 25 mins since the yams cooked quickly than I expected. Served this with Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry and Cranberry Wild Rice Pilaf for dinner. Thanks! Made for ZWT4.
This is a really yummy curry. A lot like aloo mutter, but with yams (I subbed sweet potatoes, actually). I used a teaspoon of mustard seeds in a tablespoon of oil, since I did not have mustard oil. I also omitted the cayenne, as the Madras Curry Powder I used had plenty in it to make this spicy. Nice flavors!