1/3 Photos of Spicy Sweet Potato Casserole
Tired of the same old sweet potatoes? Ready to skip another sugary, marshmallow side at your holiday table? So am I. :-) Found this while scanning magazines at a neighbors and quickly scribbled it down. The combination of dweet and savory additions look to enhance, not mask, the wonderful flavors of the under appreciated sweet potato. This will be gracing our holiday table next year and will likely make an appearance before then. Soon to be at a table at your house? Hope so.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium sweet onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occsionally. Add in the sweet potatoes and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- 2Add two cups of water to the skillet. Add in the raisins, sugar, salt ginger cinnamon and cayenne. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 12 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- 3Serve hot or at room temperature.
- 4Note: You can prepare these up to two days in advance. To reheat, place in a casserole dish and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Sweet Potato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.1
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 270.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g