This is ideal picnic food since it has no mayo in it. You can use more or less hot pepper depending on how hot you like it/can take it.
- 1⁄2 head green cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2 lb jicama, shredded
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 -2 minced seeded jalapeno
- 1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- Combine all salad ingredients and mix well.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and toss well with salad ingredients.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This slaw gets better if it has a chance to sit for a few hours before serving and it's even good the next day.
This was a surprising dish. I loved the harmony of the citrus flavors in the dressing. The jicama and cabbage had a wonderful crunchiness that I enjoyed too. I used this dish as a side to a chicken and salsa recipe, and it was wonderful. Thanks, Mirj for sharing this keeper.
As good as healthy can get! Positively scrummy! Love the jicama, jalapeno and cilantro in this slaw!
Delicious salad. I made half a recipe of the salad but the whole dressing recipe. It was great! Will have this often with Mexican themed meals. The fresh lime juice really makes it. Served it with quesadillas.