A spicy and adaptable recipe by Jill Nussinow, "The Veggie Queen" (theveggiequeen.com). You can add other vegetables like potatoes at the beginning or chopped spinach at the end. Wrap it up in a multigrain tortilla and enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or a snack!!
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small hot pepper, finely minced
- 1 cup brown lentils or 1 cup green lentil, soaked, rinsed, and drained
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice or 1⁄2 cup other long grain rice
- 3 cups water or 3 cups broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 cup diced tomato (fresh or canned)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped for garnish
- hot sauce or chutney, to taste
- Pour the oil into a medium or large saucepan with a lid over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and pepper. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Cook until onion begins to slightly soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils, rice, curry powder, and water. Stir well.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add peas to pot, replace cover and let sit undisturbed for 5 more minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with cilantro. Serve immediately.