1/4 Photos of Spicy Curried Lentils and Rice
A spicy and adaptable recipe by Jill Nussinow, "The Veggie Queen" (theveggiequeen.com). You can add other vegetables like potatoes at the beginning or chopped spinach at the end. Wrap it up in a multigrain tortilla and enjoy for breakfast, lunch, or a snack!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 small hot pepper, finely minced
- 1 cup brown lentils or 1 cup green lentil, soaked, rinsed, and drained
- 1/2 cup basmati rice or 1/2 cup other long grain rice
- 3 cups water or 3 cups broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 cup diced tomato (fresh or canned)
- 3 -4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped for garnish
- hot sauce or chutney, to taste
- 1Pour the oil into a medium or large saucepan with a lid over medium heat. Add the onion, ginger, garlic and pepper. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Cook until onion begins to slightly soften, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add lentils, rice, curry powder, and water. Stir well.
- 3Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- 4Remove from heat, add peas to pot, replace cover and let sit undisturbed for 5 more minutes.
- 5Add tomatoes and salt and fluff with a fork. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with cilantro. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Curried Lentils and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (403 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 345.4
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 343.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 17.5 g