Prep 20 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A hot spicy meatless crock pot dish -- and easy, too!
Make and share this Spicy Crock Pot Chickpeas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (reduce if that's too spicy for your tastes)
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (, canned or fresh)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook onions, stirring, just until they begin to brown; then add garlic and all spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add vinegar and tomatoes and bring to a boil, then place mixture in your slow cooker; add chickpeas and combine well.
- Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or on High for 3 to 4 hours, or until the mixture is hot and bubbling.
- Serve with hot naan or pita bread.
yummm! this was delicious, lennie - thank you! i made it pretty much exactly according to the recipe, and it got rave reviews all around. I really liked the flavour the balsamic vinegar added. I will certainly be making this again! (and it was really easy too :)
Great recipe! Unusual flavor, but good. I added baby carrots and a little red wine vinegar, its not as tart as the balsamic. It could use something to thicken the sauce.
This certainly smelled fantastic when I finally got in from work! Tastes pretty good too. My toddler also ate this without protest.Didn't really notice the cayenne.I also was out of fresh gingerroot so made do with ground ginger which worked okay.