Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick vegetarian soup that uses ingredients that I have on hand all of the time. Serve with bread.
Make and share this Spicy Chickpea and Spinach Soup recipe from Food.com.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, rosemary, red pepper and salt. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup to partial puree. (basically, puree until as smooth or chunky as you like). You can also add about 1 cup to a blender and puree then add back to pan.
- Add spinach, return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
I really loved this. Substitutions: I used dried chickpeas that I cooked from scratch instead of canned, and I added more salt. The diced tomatoes were sodium free so I think it evened out. I also ground some Ecuadorian black pepper over this before serving to add extra kick, because I didn't find it very spicy.
A delicious, very quick and easy soup to prepare! And like all soup recipes, very adaptable. We don't like our food spicy, so I omitted the red pepper flakes, doubled the spinach and added some cumin. I also used a combination of chicken stock and white wine (about 50/50), simply because I'm always looking to sneak some wine in where I see the opportunity to do so - to add to the flavour. It was largely the spinach that drew me to this recipe, so that's why I doubled that - favourite - ingredient! Thanks KelBel, for a great recipe using readily on hand ingredients! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.