Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy, spicy, and healthy. This will fill you up, and warm you up as well. Serve it with fresh lime wedges for a citrus kick. You could also serve it over brown rice.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 lime
- In a 3 quart sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute, stirring occasionally until tender. This takes about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and spices, cook for about a minute.
- Stir in beans, broth, and can of tomatoes (including liquid from tomatoes). Add a pinch of salt, if you'd like.
- Heat to high heat until soup is boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/3 of mixture into a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth. You can do more or less, depending on how thick you want the soup or how many whole beans you want in it. Combine pureed mixture with rest of soup and serve with lime wedges.
Spicy and Healthy? Perfect combination. I personally like more heat, so I added plenty of red pepper flakes to start. Delicious!
Just as decribed.... spicy (but not too much), healthy and filling. Adding the lime juice right at the end really adds a nice splash of citrus flavor. I garnished the soup with chopped cilantro. It was delicious! Thanx!