My brother made this from a recipe my SIL got on-line. It's originally from Bon Appetit. I loved the way the fennel and squash tasted, asked her for the recipe, and here it is! Good fall recipe, for Thanksgiving or Christmas (which is what my brother made it for). We never celebrate Christmas on Christmas which is why I'm able to post it early.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, halved crosswise, then cut lenghtwise into 3/4 inch wedges
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cut lengthwise into 1 inch wedges
- 1 large red onion, root end left intact, then cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 -3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Position rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Combine squash, fennel and onion on heavy large rimmed baking sheet. Add oil and toss to coat.
- Mix all spices in small bowl to blend. Sprinkle spice mixture over vegetables and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast until vegetables are tender and browned, turning once, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer to shallow dish and serve.