Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another lentil favorite in our home, even with the kiddos! Originally from the "Lean, Luscious, and Meatless" cookbook. I use less onion and usually add in a bit of cumin and ground flax, and typically shred the carrots as they cook down more and 'disguise' a little better for the kids. Great winter night stew!
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, uncooked
- 2 medium potatoes, in small cubes
- 1 cup chopped/shredded carrot
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Combine everything in lg pan and mix well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, 40-45 min, or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Thin with water if you prefer a more'soup-like' consistency.