Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Another lentil favorite in our home, even with the kiddos! Originally from the "Lean, Luscious, and Meatless" cookbook. I use less onion and usually add in a bit of cumin and ground flax, and typically shred the carrots as they cook down more and 'disguise' a little better for the kids. Great winter night stew!
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, uncooked
- 2 medium potatoes, in small cubes
- 1 cup chopped/shredded carrot
- 1⁄2-1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (or more!)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- Combine everything in lg pan and mix well.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, covered, 40-45 min, or until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Thin with water if you prefer a more'soup-like' consistency.
We love this recipe! My 12 yo stepson asks for it every week! We like to eat this over jasmine rice. It's a nice, hearty, meal! Thanks for posting!
YUM! I didn't have any potatoes in the house, so I used some hash browns from the freezer. I also added (my favorite spice) cilantro. The I threw it all in the crock pot for the day! Thank you!
Thanks for the delicious recipe! I made this for my non-vegetarian family and they loved it. (Usually they resist my vegetarian tendencies!) Even my two year olds gobbled it up. Like other reviewers, I increased the portion and made a couple small changes: celery (in lieu of just leaves) and beans. I topped it with a little light sour cream and served over rice. It was so easy. filling and yummy. I'll definitely make it again.