Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World.
Make and share this South African Beet and Onion Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb small fresh beet, all but 1-inch of stems removed
- boiling salt water (for cooking)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 small onions, peeled, sliced and separated into rings
- Place the beets in boiling, salted water.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Add more water if necessary; the beets should be completely covered.
- Drain and cool.
- Remove skins from beets.
- Slice into rounds or strips 1/4" thick.
- Combine vinegar, salt and sugar in a deep bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add beets and onions and stir to coat.
- Marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.
Very good. Thanks.
I love beets and really enjoyed this salad. I took a shortcut and used canned, sliced beets but otherwise followed the recipe as written. Next time I think I would either add a bit more sugar or add some yogurt to make it a little less vinegary in flavor. Made for ZWT7