Adapted from Time/Life Foods of the World.
Make and share this South African Beet and Onion Salad recipe from Food.com.
- Place the beets in boiling, salted water.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, or until tender. Add more water if necessary; the beets should be completely covered.
- Drain and cool.
- Remove skins from beets.
- Slice into rounds or strips 1/4" thick.
- Combine vinegar, salt and sugar in a deep bowl and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add beets and onions and stir to coat.
- Marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.