Pour in about a half inch of syrup into a tall glass, and add lots of ice cubes and seltzer or club soda. You might even prefer water instead. Iranis add a sprig of fresh mint and a sour cherry to the glass as well.
- Puree the cherries in a blender or food processor in small batches. Run juice through a fine sieve, pressing hard to extract all the juice.
- In a large saucepan, mix cherry juice with sugar, water and lime juice and bring to a boil, stirring consistently, until sugar dissolves.
- Cook over moderate heat for 10 minutes, skimming off the foam that rises to the top with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring and skimming, until syrupy, about 1 hour.
- Strain the syrup into jars and let cool completely before storing.