Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
A nice meatless soup for a change of pace. It's thick like stew and popular with kids. Great Mexican comfort food. From the Vegetarian Journal for Summer 2007
- Break the pasta into 1 inch pieces.
- In food processor, combine the tomatoes, onions, garlic, and chipotle. Process until smooth.
- In heavy soup pan, heat oil to med heat. Add pasta and cook, stirring, until pasta turns golden about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Then add the tomato mix and broth. Increase the heat to med high and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered until the pasta is a la dente. That should be about 5 minutes [angel hair cooks faster remember?].
- Place soup in bowls, garnish with cilantro or use parsley. Serve asap.
- Notes: Use a Roasted Vegetable Broth. You want it dark and rich. Add Mrs Dash seasoning [I use the Southwest but be warned it is going to spike your heat up] Also don't use Canned as the recipe calls for. Use fresh tomatoes diced with some chilies. Or use Rotel if you must use canned.
- The recipe above is the Journal's recipe and it is a simple recipe suited to smaller childrens tastes [no hot.] I prefer to kick it up. Seasoning is omitted because of this so you need to add it. If you don't it is going to be a bland broth spiced only by the Roasted Vegetable broth.
This was really just a broth with a very strong garlic flavor.