These are small red potatoes carved into cute mushroom shapes! You can use any dressing you like to drizzle over them, I dressed them simply here. Great for kids or dinner parties or just for a little fun! Enjoy!
- 3 -5 small red potatoes (3 to 5 per person so multiply times how many guests)
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Carve potatoes into mushroom shapes, using a small pairing knife, by making a 1/4-inch deep cut completely around the middle of the potato. (Careful not to cut all the way through because the stem will be created from the middle of the potato).
- Make the stem of the mushroom by carving away that 1/4 inch of potato flesh and keeping the top intact with the skin and the bottom free of potato skin. The round part with the skin on top looks like the top of the mushroom and the bottom part, the stem of the mushroom.
- Place carved potatoes in cold water to prevent browning while you cut out the rest of the mushroom shapes. (save the rest of the carvings from the potatoes for soups or another recipe).
- Steam the potatoes until fork tender but still slightly firm. (about 15 minutes).
- Carefully drain the potatoes without breaking off your mushroom stems and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking.
- Remove the Smurf Houses quickly to a plate then add salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the potatoes with oil and serve 3 to 5 Smurf Houses per person.