Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This recipe is simple because it has multiple uses, as a meat extender for ground beef, ground pork or ground venison or elk. Also simple for freezing whenever you need and the start of wonderful refried beans. It is a wonderful fiber to include in your recipes
- Wash and soak beans overnight if possible.
- Pick out any shriveled beans and throw away.
- Use a large stockpot.
- Put bay leaves,salt and soda with the beans.
- Cover and cook on low heat until tender.
- Stir once in a while and add water if necessary.
- Don't worry about any bean hulls floating.
- It depends on altitude how long to cook.
- I cook them four hours, on low to be nice and tender.
- Drain the beans. Save the water.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Mash and add some of the water back into the beans. You do not want them dry, but moist.
- Add dried cilantro flakes.
- Note: Add hot pepper flakes if you want spicy.
- Add to raw ground beef, ground pork before freezing or cooking or other raw ground meats.
- Sack in two cup amounts in zip lock bags. This is a starter recipe in refried beans,just add lard, bacon grease and spices. This is a quick starter for vegetable soup.