4 hrs 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
This recipe is simple because it has multiple uses, as a meat extender for ground beef, ground pork or ground venison or elk. Also simple for freezing whenever you need and the start of wonderful refried beans. It is a wonderful fiber to include in your recipes
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and soak beans overnight if possible.
- 2Pick out any shriveled beans and throw away.
- 3Use a large stockpot.
- 4Put bay leaves,salt and soda with the beans.
- 5Cover and cook on low heat until tender.
- 6Stir once in a while and add water if necessary.
- 7Don't worry about any bean hulls floating.
- 8It depends on altitude how long to cook.
- 9I cook them four hours, on low to be nice and tender.
- 10Drain the beans. Save the water.
- 11Remove the bay leaves.
- 12Mash and add some of the water back into the beans. You do not want them dry, but moist.
- 13Add dried cilantro flakes.
- 14Note: Add hot pepper flakes if you want spicy.
- 15Add to raw ground beef, ground pork before freezing or cooking or other raw ground meats.
- 16Sack in two cup amounts in zip lock bags. This is a starter recipe in refried beans,just add lard, bacon grease and spices. This is a quick starter for vegetable soup.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Simple Boiled Great Northern Beans/Pinto Beans
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 300.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.6 g