Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a great chunky vegetarian pasta sauce which almost tastes meaty. It is easy to sneak a few more vegetables in there if desired. The sugar is not strictly necessary and you may be able to omit the second lot of water. My toddler LOVED this recipe and couldn't get enough.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini and garlic.
- Cook while stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add lentils[I like the orange ones] and 3 cups water to the vegetables.
- Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 to 60 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 cup water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If necessary, add more water to keep the sauce from sticking.
- Be careful not to dilute; the sauce should be quite thick.
This sauce is great, though I had to add a few extra spices for me (I like LOTS of flavor) It's nice and thick and chunky, and feels good to know I'm getting a bit more protein, from the lentils. I added some grated carrot and a little crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning. Great on pasta with your Nutritional Yeast 'Parmesan'!
Excellent! I made a half recipe and served over whole wheat spaghetti -- enjoyed it very much. Made a few changes... I sauteed the veggies in vegetable stock instead of oil. I took a few hints from yogi and added grated carrot, chopped green pepper, oregano, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. I used red lentils and they were well-cooked and mushy way before 45 minutes. A delicious, hearty, healthy pasta sauce!
I found this was good but needed a bit more, so I added celery,carrot and also a bit of mixed dried italian herbs and sweet paprika powder. Also I used green french lentils which took a lot longer to cook but they are firmer and hold theitr shape well. I have also tried this sauce with sausage thrown in and it was really delicious.