1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
This is a great chunky vegetarian pasta sauce which almost tastes meaty. It is easy to sneak a few more vegetables in there if desired. The sugar is not strictly necessary and you may be able to omit the second lot of water. My toddler LOVED this recipe and couldn't get enough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- 2Add onions, mushrooms, zucchini and garlic.
- 3Cook while stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add lentils[I like the orange ones] and 3 cups water to the vegetables.
- 5Turn up the heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 45 to 60 minutes.
- 7Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, and 1/2 cup water.
- 8Bring to a boil.
- 9Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 10If necessary, add more water to keep the sauce from sticking.
- 11Be careful not to dilute; the sauce should be quite thick.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sicilian Lentil Pasta Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.6
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 477.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 9.0 g