A Laotian recipe shared with me by a dear friend of mine. So easy and refreshing. It reminds me of cold watermelon on a hot day.
- Wash cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise.
- With a large spoon, scrape the inside of the cucumber into a bowl, being careful not to get any of the peel.
- You want thin, short shreds.
- Stir in the sugar (to your tastes) and several ice cubes.
- Serve after the ice has melted some.
- The cucumber should be cold and juicy.
I tried this recipe for my kids who like watermelon but aren't crazy about cucumbers. While the dish was all right, it did not remind me of watermelon on a hot day. It tasted like...cucumbers!
I was surprised these came out as good as they did. Just sugar and ice? So simple and so good. Thanks Kaarin!