Made this tonight to use up some cauldron firm tofu and some veg that needed using up any veg you want. Turned out stir fryish. My husband liked it a lot even though he hates tofu, In this the tofu tastes like fried eggs. My scales have broken so I measured out the rice in a measuring jug.
- 200 g firm tofu, squeezed and crumbled (1 packet of cauldron tofu)
- 200 g broccoli, cut into florets (1/2 large head)
- 2 carrots, cut into diagonal slices
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1 sweet pepper, sliced
- 200 g sliced mushrooms (half a packet)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 pint dried rice (basmati)
- 1 pint cold water
- 1 teaspoon five-spice seasoning
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Rinse the rice in a sieve under cold running water.
- Heat up a tablespoon of olive oil in heavy based pan until it's very hot. Add rice and fry gently for 1 minute. Add the pint of cold water, bring to the boil then turn down to lowest heat clamping lid on tightly. Do not open the lid for next ten minutes, so set your timer.
- While this is going on, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Then add the spices and tofu and keep stirring it. After the tofu has coloured a bit and gone squishy, add the rest of the veg and keep stirring.
- When the timer goes off, check the rice. It should look puckered with little holes. Stir it to check if there is any remaining water hiding underneath. If there is, keep it on the heat uncovered for 5 minutes to evaporate the water.
- Once there is no water, add the veg and tofu to the rice and stir. Add the soy sauce and taste. Add more chili, garlic or Chinese 5 spice, salt or pepper as per your liking, then eat it. I think this makes enough for 4 people, 3 very hungry people, or one husband.