Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Found this recipe in a Canadian Living magazine and had to try it. It's really yummy, and makes a good amount too. Hubby didn't seem too thrilled that it had carrots in it, but he said he liked it, AND he went back for seconds LOL.
- 3 (19 ounce) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice (I used V8)
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce (I used tamari)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot.
- Cover and cook on Low Power until beans are bubbling and have thickened, about 6 hours.
- Discard bay leaves before serving.
I did not care for this particular recipe. The flavors, to me, were not good. I ended up adding b-bque sauce and yellow mustard once they were done. Even with those additions, neither of my small children ate them either. I found the veggies did not get quite "done" either, which I typically like a little crunch to my cooked veggies, just didn't care for that texture in these beans. Sorry not to leave a better review!
I made this for a potluck on the beach!! It was just terrific served at room temp. I did this in a microwave rather than a crockpot to save time. I also used a food processor to finely chop up the veggies. I also added a bit of garlic and tabasco. Thanks Lennie