Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 onions, chopped or 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- cayenne pepper (consult with your family devil on the amount, but use at least a pinch)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- Put all the ingredients into a pot, stir to mix in the tomato paste and add water to 1-2 inches below the level of the vegetables.
- Simmer until all vegetables are soft (about 30 minutes).
This is a really fine vegetable soup which I have had many times, varying the veggies according to what I had on hand. It varies a lot in taste and texture but is always good! The only thing I consistently add is GARLIC, which I usually cook a little in a spray or two of olive oil with the onions before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Nice vegetable soup with lots of cabbage. Very easy to make and so good for you! It may just be my taste, but I did need to add more tomato paste and some vegetable broth to give it some more flavor. The cayenne gives it a good kick.