1/6 Photos of Salsa Verde Roasted and Canned
1 hr 10 mins
A take off my Smoky, Spicy Tomatillo Salsa Verde Aka Canned Green Hell!. I wanted to roast (grill) the tomatillos, onions, chili's and garlic. So this is what I came up with. Yes you can roast in the oven. Make now and enjoy all year! Or give as gifts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs tomatillos, cut into half
- 2 habanero peppers, seeds and all
- 4 green chili peppers
- 2 onions, skin removed and halved
- 1 garlic, bulb
- 2 limes, cut in half
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (I used all three) or 1 cup fresh parsley (I used all three) or 1 cup fresh basil (I used all three)
- 1/2 cup bottled lemon juice
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1Preheat grill or broiler to high. Remove husks and wash the tomatillos and cut in half. Place the tomatillos, chili`s, onion, unpeeled garlic bulb, and lime halves on grates of grill or a cookie sheet pan put under the preheated broiler until the tomatillos are roasted and the chili`s peppers are slightly charred on all sides. Rotate the ingredients during cooking to make sure all sides are charred and remove each as they get chard. Cool all and then peel the chili`s (only remove seeds if heat is not desired) and garlic (you may have to squeeze the soft garlic out of the skin) and remove any extremely charred skin from the tomatillo, and onions is just fine! Cut the onions into 1/4`s.
- 2Squeeze the limes into the food processor and add all remaining charred veggies, pulsing 4 to 6 times till combined.
- 3In a large stainless saucepan combine all the ingredients.
- 4Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium high heat, stirring often to prevent sticking.
- 5Cook for 10 minutes.
- 6Ladle hot salsa into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- 7Wipe rims, center lids and screw on band to fingertip tight.
- 8Place jars in canner, cover and bring canner to a boil.
- 9Process for 15 minutes.
- 10Turn off heat, remove lid of canner and let jars sit for 5 additional minutes. Remove jars, cool, label and store.
- 11Use in 1 year. Store opened jars in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salsa Verde Roasted and Canned
Serving Size: 1 (2319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.9
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 948.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 16.5 g
- Protein 5.3 g