My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb green beans, stem ends snipped, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 2 carrots, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, well drained
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, sliced in half and then crosswise, pulled into paper-thin slices
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 -2 lemon, halved
- 1/3-1/2 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 -3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1Bring 1 ½ inches water to a boil in a pan over medium heat; place a steaming basket over the boiling water and add the green beans.
- 2Cover and steam until the beans are still crisp-tender with a little bite, but have lost all rawness (if the beans are slim and tender, this should be 3-4 minutes; fatter beans can take 10-12 minutes).
- 3Remove steamer from the pot, reserving the steaming water; rinse the green beans under cold water; drain well, transfer beans to a bowl.
- 4Repeat the same process with the lima beans over the same water, steaming for about 10 minutes; once they are cooked, rinse with cold water, drain, and combine with the green beans.
- 5Repeat the same process with the carrots, again using the same steaming water, steaming for 1 minute; rinse, drain, and add to the beans in the bowl.
- 6Leaving the cover off the steaming pot, remove the steamer, and raise the heat to a hard boil; cook to reduce the steaming liquid to 1 tablespoon or less (6-8 minutes); watch closely so you don’t scorch the liquid.
- 7While the steaming liquid is reducing add the chickpeas, celery, and red onion to the bean mixture, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Squeeze the first lemon into the salad through a strainer (to catch the seeds); if it’s not very juicy, squeeze in the juice of the second lemon.
- 9Stir in the mixed parsley and the oil.
- 10Add the reduced steaming liquid and stir to blend.
- 11Refrigerate for at least 2 hours; overnight is better.
- 12Before serving, bring to room temperature, taste, and if necessary, reseason.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Salad of Limas, Green Beans, and Chickpeas W/ Lemon and Parsley
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.6
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 266.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 8.5 g