Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
For a more earthy flavored dish, substitute turmeric for the saffron. From the Mayo Clinic Williams-Sonoma Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (sultanas)
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron thread
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute until wilted (about 3 minutes). Add rice and saute 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, water, pepper, cinnamon and allspice. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in raisins, currants, saffron and half of the pine nuts. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid (about 20 minutes).
- To serve, stir and fluff the rice and garnish with remaining pine nuts.