1/2 Photos of Rocco's Vegan Chili
magpie diner's Note:
I was on the Dr Oz site looking for something completely different when I stumbled across this recipe. I know there are a zillion chili recipes...this one looked a little different with the touch of lime. I haven't tried this yet, plan to soon because I think it looks tasty. I'm guessing at the cooking time, it looks fairly quick though...30 minutes simmering time is included in my guess. Update...had a chance to make this and I really like the recipe - it's very quick to throw together. The only thing I wanted to come back and adjust is the amount of chili powder - suggest starting with a tsp and working your way up from there, because chili powders vary so much. I happened to use chipotle and an entire tbsp would have been too much.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced onions, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped bell peppers
- 1/2-1 tablespoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried basil
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- shredded soy cheese (optional)
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté 1-1/2 cups of the onion (reserve the other 1/2 cup) along with the celery and the carrots until soft.
- 2Stir in the peppers, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook about 6 minutes.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and corn. Season with oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- 4Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Stir in lime juice and cilantro just before serving. Top with the reserved 1/2 cup of chopped onion and soy cheese, if using.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rocco's Vegan Chili
Serving Size: 1 (695 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.3
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 741.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.8 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 19.5 g