For those that Like it Hot! This includes a habanero chili but if you can't take the heat use a jalapeno in place of it. Be sure to remove the seeds and liquid by squeezing the 1/2'd tomatoes before dicing. Use Roasted Garlic & Pearl Onions With Herbs without the optional onions.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large vidalia onion, onionsonion diced (3 cups)
- 1 habanero, very finely minced (can use more to kick up the heat)
- 1⁄2 head roasted garlic, Roasted Garlic & Pearl Onions With Herbs
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 8 cups diced tomatoes, seeds and liquid discarded
- 4 roasted poblano peppers, stemmed seeded and diced (1 cup, To make check out Roasted Fresh Chilies Like Poblanos Jalapenos Bell Peppers..)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced
- fresh cilantro, minced (a mixture of the herbs as great as well)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh lime juice (2 tablespoon)
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- In a large pot heat oil.
- Add onions and habanaro sprinkle with sugar cooking over medium heat for 5 minutes till lightly browned stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning and place in hot sterilized jars.
- Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes to seal.
This was awesome.. added red and yellow bell peppers and 5 jalapeno.
More garlic would make it better..
This salsa had a wonderful roasted flavor--you can make this again for me this summer! = )