Every roast chilies? Give these a try! Roasting is done to remove the skin and give a wonderful flavor. Here are methods for roasting the peppers. Oil is use in the fourth method.
- 4 chilies (Poblanos jalapenos or what you choose)
- vegetable oil
- Stove top the most common method:.
- Place clean and towel dried Poblanos right on the open medium flame turning with tongs as it is charred.(black and blistered). Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on the heat of flame and size of chilies.
- Immediately place in a paper bag or closed container to steam for 15 minutes. Called letting the chilies sweat! This makes the skin easier to remove and cool enough to handle, as they continue to cook.
- On a Comal or heavy skillet:.
- Heat skillet to medium high.
- Place chilies on pan turning till charred being careful not to scorch as for they will have a bitter taste. Takes about 5-10 minutes depending on the heat of flame and size of chilies.
- Immediately place in a paper bag or closed container to steam for 15 minutes.
- In the Broiler:.
- Heat broiler to medium high.
- Lightly brush with oil.
- Place chilies in pan and place in broiler. Char as above.
- In oil:.
- This method is used for stuffing them a time saver when making many.
- Heat oil over medium high heat. Place 1-2 at a time in oil. using a slotted spoon to turn and fry till golden brown and skins swell about 5-10 seconds. Transfer to a bowl of cold water and use finger to peel off the skins.
- I like to dry peel so not to loose any flavor.
- But you can peel the skins under running water but do not soak them. Use a parring knife to remove any skin that won`t be finger removed.