Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the March/April 2002 issue of Cook's Illustrated. These are lovely!
Make and share this Roasted Baby Artichokes recipe from Food.com.
- Cut off the top quarter of each artichoke and snap off the fibrous outer leaves until you reach the yellow leaves.
- With a paring knife, trim the dark green exterior from the base of the artichoke as well as the exterior of the stem.
- Trim a thin slice from the end of the stem, then cut the artichoke in half, slicing from tip to stem.
- Drop the trimmed artichoke into a bowl of acidulated water until ready to cook.
- Drain the trimmed artichokes and toss with enough olive oil to coat lightly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and place cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast in a 400°F oven, turning after 15 minutes, until artichokes can be easily pierced with a skewer, about 25 minutes total.
- While still hot, sprinkle with lemon juice and more salt to taste.
I have always only prepared artichokes boiled and then dipped in vinaigrette, the way my grandmother showed me when I was very young. This was a totally different flavour, and very enjoyable. I was very liberal with the lemon juice and used a nice virgin olive oil. Tasty! Thanks.
Delicious, Ginny! I served these last night with kebabs...I loved the delicate flavor of the artichokes with just a hint of lemon. I used extra virgin olive oil, which was nice. Thank you for an easy, wonderful dish G!
I made this as suggested, and then used a lemon butter sauce for dipping and it was very good.