Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
All you need is a stove. I went to the British for this because if anyone knows how to roast a chestnut, they do. From the BBC. I needed plain for a recipe and don't use oils.
- Since the computer will NOT let this run with one ingredient, we will add one. The optional wine, Drink it while the nuts are cooking however if you don't drink it is optional.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- cut a cross in the top each nut into the top of the flesh. Put in roasting pan and bake until skins open and insides are tender about 30 minutes [check, can vary from 10 to 30 minutes].
- To serve place in paper bags. Peel away skin and pith [white stuff]. Eat the kernel.
- Note: You can leave a test chestnut. Do not put the cross in this one when you put them in the oven, then when it blows, it bounces off the side of the stove, causes the cat who is sleeping on the rug next to the stove to have a heart attack, they are done.
- Also note: as reviewed other pets also work such as dogs. I am not sure about ferrets. They tend to be a bit nervous anyway.
- However as noted, Bassetts or Beagles or other 'hunting' breeds may not react. They were bred for loud sudden noises.