1/1 Photo of Rigatoni With Tomato, Eggplant, & Red Peppers
This sauce goes well with a tubular pasta, such as rigatoni, or a long pasta, such as spaghetti. It benefits from slower cooking, becoming a rich sauce that is delicious accompanied by a leafy green salad. From The Classic Vegetarian Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, with juice coarsely chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground to taste
- 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- parmesan cheese, fresh cut into flakes (optional)
- basil leaves, fresh to garnish
- 1Warm 2 Tbsp of the olive oil in a saucepan over moderate heat, add the onion, cover, and cook until tender: about 5 minutes. Add the eggplant, red pepper, and garlic, cover, and cook for a futher 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Pour in the tomatoes with their juice, reduce the heat, and cook slowly, uncovered, until the excess liquid has evaporated and the sauce is thick and puree-like (about 20-25 minutes). Season to taste with salt and black pepper and keep warm.
- 3Pour 4 1/2 quarts of water into a large pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Drop in the pasta, give it a quick stir, then let the water boil steadily until the pasta is al dente: tender but not soft right through. Bite a piece to check.
- 4Drain the pasta but leave some water clinging to it, and return it to the hot pan with the remaining olive oil and a good seasoning of salt and black pepper. Toss the pasta to coat it with the oil.
- 5Pour in the sauce and toss the pasta once more. Serve at once, with flakes of Parmesan if desired, and basil leaves to garnish.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rigatoni With Tomato, Eggplant, & Red Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 623.3
- Calories from Fat 144
- Total Fat 16.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 95.7 mg
- Sodium 39.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 103.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 13.8 g
- Protein 20.1 g