Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy side dish we make a lot in my home. Goes great with lots of different main dishes! Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup rice
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄2 hot pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Add olive oil to a medium sauce pan with a tight fitting lid placed over medium heat and warm for one minute,.
- Add rice and saute stirring almost constantly until rice begins to turn clear and just a little brown on the edges.
- Toss in remaining ingredients EXCEPT LIQUID and saute for one minute.
- Add water/broth, stir and cover tightly.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes. Lift lid and check to ensure rice is thoroughly cooked. If not, recover, turn off heat and let pan remain covered on warm burner for a few minutes. Fluff with fork and remove from heat when rice is tender.
We loved this rice, served with Jerk Chicken, Caribbean Coleslaw, and a mango salsa.
Good, flavorful but next time will cut the cayenne down to 1/4 tsp.
Excellent rice dish! I made it as it, with the exception of the green onions but that's just because I forgot it. It's nice and spicy and flavorful! I will definitely be making this again. Next time I will have all the ingredients pre-prepared so I don't have to run around the kitchen so much! I served with roasted parmesan cauliflower and a cayenne/paprika rubbed beef roast.