1/1 Photo of Rice and Raisin-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
6 hrs 30 mins
Taken from "Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker". Plump raisins, apple juice, and a bit of sugar and spice lend a sweetness to these flavorful cabbage bundles made with nutritious and nutty brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large head green cabbage, cored
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in warm water 10 minutes and drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1Steam the cabbage in a large pot with a steamer rack until the first few layers of leaves are softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the pot and allow to cool.
- 2Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the raisins, parsley, sugar, allspice, and cinnamon, season with cayenne, salt, and black pepper, and mix well. Remove from the heat, stir in the rice and lemon juice, and mix well.
- 3Remove as many of th cabbage leaves that are soft and lay them out on a flat surface, rib side down. Place about 1/3 cup of the stuffing mixture on each leaf. Roll up each leaf around the stuffing, tucking in the sides as you roll. Repeat the process until the mixture is used up, steaming more cabbage leave to soften as necessary.
- 4Place the filled cabbage rolls in a 5.5 to 6 quart slow cooker, seam side down. Drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, the water, and apple juice. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, until the cabbage is tender. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice and Raisin-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.5
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 42.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 5.8 g