Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This can be a make ahead or chill for an hour recipe. It is from the Canadian Living May 2007 issue.
- 1 cup rhubarb, 1 inch slices, fresh o.r. frozen
- 1 cup cherries, jarred and pitted, frozen can be used
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a saucepan bring all ingredients to a boil over med-high heat stirring often.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove lid and simmer until rhubarb breaks down (about 3 minutes) could be less if using frozen.
- Remove to bowl and refrigerate 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Very yummy. Next time I'd probably add some cinnamon and/or chipotle powder for a little kick, but it's also great as-is.
I made pancakes and ladled this on the pancakes and added a dollop of sour cream. It was wonderful!
The best flavors of summer captured in an easy and flavorful dish. Since I was preparing this to meet my WW Core diet, I replaced the sugar with Splenda adding it in after the initial 7 minutes of cooking time. Another 4 minutes and the fruit was tender and just short of falling apart and swimming in a lush red syrup. Since I used fresh cherries, it involved a little more effort but it was well worth it. I had half served warm over yogurt and the other chilled and served plain. Both were superb!