Refereshing yet warm, with wonderful contrasts of texture and flavor. Healthy, too!
Make and share this Refried Black Bean Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups cooked black beans or 2 cups two cans black beans, liquids reserved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 -3 teaspoons diced garlic
- 2 -3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 6 leaves romaine lettuce
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups enriched rice, cooked
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the garlic and onions and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the spices, except the cilantro, and saute 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the beans and cilantro and cook for 10-15 minutes, mashing with a potato masher or back of a spoon intermittently until the onions, beans, spices, etc are one big mass.
- Add half the rice, mash into the the bean mixture.
- Mix the tomato, cucumber, romaine, and remaining rice.
- Add the warm bean mixture to the salad, carefully mix together.
- Serve immediately with spice, scallions, and/or tabasco to taste.