Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is inspired by the soup at one of my favorite Mediterranean restaurants. I have combined ingredients and ideas from many other highly rated recipes.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (optional if you don't like spicy food)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red lentil
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth or 2 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- salt & pepper
- 1 lemon (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add garlic and ginger, saute for another minute.
- Add spices and stir to coat.
- Add carrots, lentils, and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until carrots and lentils are tender (about 20 minutes).
- Using an immersion blender or standard blender, briefly pulse mixture.
- Add salt & pepper to taste. Serve in bowls and optionally squeeze a lemon wedge on top.