This recipe always turns out rich, spicy and satisfying. Using curry paste (sold by the jar) makes it fast and simple to prepare.
- Carefully sift through the dry lentils and remove any tiny rocks.
- In a large pot, sauté onion with oil and curry paste until softened.
- Add rinsed lentils, water and optional tomato and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil then simmer covered at a low boil for up to an hour until the lentils become creamy.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve as a soup or over rice.
- Source: Vegetarian Tastes of Toronto, p. 73.
For 5 minutes prep time and a stir of the pot every ten minutes or so, this was a super simple vegetarian dish. Using a bottled curry paste made this a quick prep dish. A very budget friendly dish served with brown rice and Quick Veggie Masala. I think the taste of this dish will depend on the curry paste used- the one I used was a medium heat - I thought the flavour needed more oomph, so next time would use a curry paste with more heat. Photo also to be posted. Recipe made for Pick A Chef event April 2013