Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is from the Feb. 2006 issue of Vegetarian Times.
Make and share this Red Cabbage Coleslaw recipe from Food.com.
- 4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (about half of an average size head)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sized cucumber, peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (optional)
- Mix cabbage with salt in medium bowl. Place plate on top of cabbage, and weight down with heavy can. Let stand 30 minutes to soften cabbage.
- Stir in cucumber, spinach, red bell pepper, and jalapeno.
- Mix vinegar, maple syrup and ginger, if using, in small bowl. Add to cabbage mixture, and mix well. Let stand 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to blend before serving.