Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Haven't tried this myself; posted in response to a quinoa discussion.
Make and share this Quinoa-Stuffed Green Bell Peppers recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 4 sweet green peppers
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels or 1 cup canned corn kernel
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander (, substitute parsley if you wish) or 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro (, substitute parsley if you wish)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh garlic
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- Rinse quinoa under cold water; drain well.
- In a saucepan, bring 1 cup of water to boil and then stir in quinoa.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and quinoa is translucent.
- Cut 1/2-inch off top of green peppers and remove seeds.
- In a large saucepan filled with boiling water, cook peppers for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp.
- Remove from water and drain well, upside down.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion until tender; stir in mushrooms, quinoa, corn, half the coriander, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and pepper flakes.
- Stuff this mixture into peppers.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and remaining coriander.
- Bake in a greased 8-inch baking dish in a preheated 350F (180C) oven for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Excellent! I have two daughters home for the summer that follow the vegan way of eating. I found this recipe was a great way to make one meal for the entire family. The filling has an excellent flavour. It would be nice on its own.I did not have mushrooms so I substituted celery. I substituted parsley for corriander.
*Made for My 3 Chefs* Delicious! This is a great way to use quinoa in a recipe. This is easy to make and has lots of flavor. I think this would also be good with other sauteed vegetables (summer squash, etc). I coarsely chopped the mushrooms and added some salt and pepper to the filling. Other than that, I made this as written and my family loved it. Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe.