Quinoa is a South American grain that is slowly making its way into the American menu. This grain imparts a lovely nutty flavor that is a welcome addition to the plate -- and its high fiber and protein content is good for you. Have begun using quinoa in place of rice for many sides including this one here. This recipe can easily be doubled for larger families or parties.
- Toast rinsed quinoa in medium saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Add oil, onion, mushrooms and garlic to pan and cook until onions are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add boiling water, peas and toasted quinoa to pot.
- Cover pot and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir before serving.
- Note: edited on 5/30/05 to include covering pot in step 5.