This easy, delicious dish is a great way to get healthy whole-grains and fiber into your diet. It could be a vegetarian or meatless main dish or even a side dish. It is simple to prepare and quick. If you like more spice, add a little cayenne.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like Mexican or Italian style)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion and cook about 3 minutes until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice.
- Bring to a boil then stir in rice.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Made for Zaar Cookbooks Tag. This was okay but not the best recipe we have ever tried for black beans and rice. Like one of the other reviewers I did have to cook it a little longer to get the rice done and there didn't seem to be enough liquid so I had to add extra water.
This is a great dish! I like moderately spicy dishes and it was just right...add cayenne if you want to make it spicier. Only thing I did different is that I cooked the rice separate as I was preparing everything else and then added it later. Worth a try if you like spice :-)
I was expecting a little more flavor in the dish with all the spices, but I found it to be a little bland. I used Italian style tomatoes, and next time will try a little more or different types of seasoning. Very easy to make and healthy! I had to cook the rice for 10-12 minutes over heat rather than 5 and still found uncooked rice. Good with tabasco sauce! Thanks for sharing!