A quick soup that can go from stove to table in less than half an hour. A regular at my house on weeknights. Many variations can be had by adding different spices and flavours.
- Heat oil in soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and allow to sweat for 5-6 minutes.
- Add can of tomatoes, water, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Check for personal taste on salt and pepper and add more if you wish.
- Bring to boil and turn down.
- ** At this time I use my immersion blender to puree the soup a bit. If you don't have one, you can pop it in your regular blender, of if you like it chunky, do not do this step**.
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, chives or croutons.