I went through a veg phase, and this was a staple. I'm back to being an omnivore, but I still make this once a week or so. It's great topped with a little cheese (regular or soy) and a chunk of cornbread. If you're a Weight Watcher, this is 3 points for a 2 cup serving. If you're a die-hard carnivore, you can add ground meat, but I think it's much fresher and tastier without.
- Drain and rinse beans and corn.
- Heat oil in a large soup pot.
- Add onions, garlic and bell pepper, and cook just until onions are translucent and bell peppers are bright green.
- Add tomatoes, vegetable juice, beans, corn, chili powder and cumin. (I use a LOT of chili powder and cumin).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- More vegetable juice can be added if chili gets too thick.