1/1 Photo of Punkrock Chickpea Gravy
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Deliciously AMAZING vegan gravy from Vegan with a Vengeance. Perfect for smothering mashed potatoes. I made this for our Mother's Day meal, and I fell in LOVE with it. They mention in the cookbook that you will be tempted to make this once a week, and I think they are right. There were no vegetarians present at dinner, much less any vegans, but the gravy was well received by everyone! I didn't have mustard seeds the first time I made this, so I used 1 tsp ground yellow mustard and it worked just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- 2 pinches paprika
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried coriander
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water, if needed
- 1Mix the flour with 2 cups of water until the flour is mostly dissolved.
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add the olive oil, onions and mustard seeds; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are browned and the mustard seeds are toasted.
- 4Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
- 5Add the chickpeas; use a potato masher to mash them (they don't have to be mashed into a paste, just make sure each one is broken up slightly; a few whole ones left are ok.
- 6Add the herbs and spices, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- 7Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits of onion.
- 8Lower heat and pour the flour mixture into the pan.
- 9Stir constantly until a thick gravy forms.
- 10Stir in the nutritional yeast.
- 11If it looks too thick and pasty, add a little of the extra water and mix well. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Punkrock Chickpea Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.2
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 537.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g