1/1 Photo of Punkrock Chickpea Gravy
Kozmic Blues's Note:
Deliciously AMAZING vegan gravy from Vegan with a Vengeance. Perfect for smothering mashed potatoes. I made this for our Mother's Day meal, and I fell in LOVE with it. They mention in the cookbook that you will be tempted to make this once a week, and I think they are right. There were no vegetarians present at dinner, much less any vegans, but the gravy was well received by everyone! I didn't have mustard seeds the first time I made this, so I used 1 tsp ground yellow mustard and it worked just fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 pinches ground cumin
- 2 pinches paprika
- 1 pinch dried rosemary
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried coriander
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water, if needed
- 1Mix the flour with 2 cups of water until the flour is mostly dissolved.
- 2Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Add the olive oil, onions and mustard seeds; cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are browned and the mustard seeds are toasted.
- 4Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes more.
- 5Add the chickpeas; use a potato masher to mash them (they don't have to be mashed into a paste, just make sure each one is broken up slightly; a few whole ones left are ok.
- 6Add the herbs and spices, soy sauce, and lemon juice.
- 7Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits of onion.
- 8Lower heat and pour the flour mixture into the pan.
- 9Stir constantly until a thick gravy forms.
- 10Stir in the nutritional yeast.
- 11If it looks too thick and pasty, add a little of the extra water and mix well. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Punkrock Chickpea Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.2
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 537.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g