1/9 Photos of Properly Prepared Spaghetti Squash
1 hr 5 mins
This recipe can be substituted in ANY pasta sauce or recipe, and it can be eaten hot or cold. Very versatile main or side dish - and very hard to screw up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350-375.
- 2Halve raw spaghetti squash with a sturdy sharp knife, scoop out, and discard the squash poop with a spoon.
- 3Place halves onto an oven safe cooking dish face up.
- 4Clean head of garlic and thinly slice garlic, (the larger pieces of garlic brown nicely, and offer a wonderful layer of complexity to the dish).
- 5Spread garlic into the bowl like shape of the squash, salt and pepper vigorously, drizzle with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil, and vegetable oil (get the oil everywhere inside the squash).
- 6Place onto the upper middle rack of the oven for about 30-40 minutes. (You will know it is ready when the squash separates with little resistance from the skin).
- 7Remove from oven, and place in coldest location possible for at least 20 minutes, before separating from skin.
- 8Use a fork to scoop and separate squash strands, add any other ingredients you like at this point.
- 9Parmesan, Romano, or Pecorino, Feta, are all excellent additions to this dish, as well as, meat, sausage, veggies, olives, the list is endless.
- 10WARNING **** If you use a loose tomato based sauce DO NOT add it immediately to the squash; this makes the squash runny, mushy, and unpalatable. Instead garnish the dish with a little bit of sauce atop the squash, and then offer more sauce on the side, in a separate dish.
- 11If you ever had it served this way you know what I mean.
- 12You can also take any leftovers and add a little bit of flour, and make into patties and fry.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Properly Prepared Spaghetti Squash
Serving Size: 1 (90 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 45.8
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 1.4 g