Prep 15 mins
Cook 11 mins
This is a delicious and simple potato cake that can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature. This recipe was found in Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything. Edit: I've added a step to resolve the problem of the potatoes turning brown after being grated.
- Scrub potatoes well and peel them if you prefer, though it's not necessary.
- Grate the potatoes using a food processor or by hand; place grated potatoes in cold water to prevent them from turning brown.
- When you're ready to cook the potatoes, drain well in a colander or strainer, place in clean tea towel and squeeze out the water.
- Heat a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat (I like how cast iron browns food).
- Toss potatoes in a large bowl with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Heat large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat (I like how cast iron browns food), add 2 tbsp of oil or butter to skillet and heat (until the butter begins to turn brown, if using).
- Put potato mixture into skillet, shape into a circle and press down with a spatula.
- Turn heat up to medium high and cook, shaking pan occasionally, until the bottom of the potato cake is crisp (about 6 to 8 minutes).
- Slide potato cake onto a plate, top with another plate, invert plates.
- Add a bit more oil or butter to the skillet and slide the cake back inches.
- Cook until the second side is browned. You may have to adjust the heat. (about 5 to 10 minutes).
- Cut into wedges and serve.
Done with carrots and 2 small popatoes. Good Idea to use carrots or beets, only for this you get 5 stars!
If you prepare this with carrots and beets, it will be difficult to cut it in pieces, beacause this cannot "stick" together.
To this recipe can be added: fried onions, fried bacon, herbs (I like rosemary), spices and so one.
Done for ZWT7
A very simple and tasty dish.The only problem that I have with rosti is that the potato discolours so quickly,and looks so unappetising before it cooks. Mine held together really well-so well in fact,that I didn't have to use the plate method to turn it,I managed it very successfully just using a large fish slice. The result was wonderfully crisp on the outside and perfectly soft in the middle.Delicious!! I think next time,the addition of some shredded onion would be great. Thanks Dreamer!!Made for PRMR.