This is a mild samosa suitable for children, while maintaining a flavor adults also love. My kids love it with some ketchup for dipping, while adults could enjoy it with an Indian dipping sauce such as plum or mango.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 sheets phyllo pastry
- butter, melted (I suggest Earth Balance)
- oil, for frying
- 1In a medium saucepan boil water.
- 2Add potatoes and frozen peas.
- 3Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 4Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- 5Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 6Add onions and garlic and saute until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- 7Add salt, cumin, turmeric, chili powder, black pepper, cinnamon, cardamom, coriander and ginger.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in potatoes and peas.
- 9Get one sheet phyllo pastry and brush one half with melted butter. Fold other half over on top of buttered half.
- 10Place approximately 4 Tablespoons potato mixture into one corner of phyllo sheet.
- 11Carefully make a triangle by folding corners over top of potato mixture and using brushed melter butter to stick each corner on top of each other.
- 12Repeat for remaining phyllo sheets and potato mixture.
- 13Heat oil for frying, approximately half an inch in bottom of pan.
- 14Fry samosas for approximately 2 minutes on each side, turning when bottom is golden brown.
- 15Drain on paper towel while cooking the rest.
- 16Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Potato & Pea Samosas (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (214 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.5
- Calories from Fat 68
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 956.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 11.8 g