I used half of a butternut squash to make these fries. The other half went to my "Fat-Free Vegetarian Butternut Squash Soup." The fries are very easy, and have a few more vitamins and less fat than the common fast-food variety.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Seed, peal, and cut squash into fry-sized chunks. The size should be roughly 3-4 inches long, 1/2 inch deep, and 1/2 inch wide.
- Use coconut oil to grease a baking pan/cookie sheet. I line the pan with aluminum foil and grease the foil for easy clean up. Coconut oil is very healthy, but if you don't have it, you can use canola oil or a non-stick spray.
- Arrange squash fries on the pan.
- Sprinkle fries with salt and basil.
- Bake fries for 20 minutes.
- Turn fries to cook the other side, and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Fries are finished when the edges are slightly brown and crispy.